Major Restoration For A Mornington Peninsula Icon
One of the Mornington Peninsula’s best-known historical landmarks will be restored and protected for future generations to enjoy thanks to a funding boost from the Victorian Government.
McCrae Lighthouse, the state’s tallest and an emblem of Port Phillip’s proud navigational history, will receive $1 million for urgent conservation works under the Government’s Living Heritage Program.
The local landmark, which is included on the Victorian Heritage Register, needs urgent repairs as a result of its age and the harsh conditions of the surrounding environment.
The funding will allow works to go ahead on the lighthouse’s gutters, windows, balcony and copper dome and will also include sandblasting and repainting of the riveted iron structure.
The current lighthouse structure was built in Birmingham in 1874 and transported to Australia by sea where it was erected in 1883.
There has been a lighthouse guiding mariners through the South Channel on the eastern side of Port Phillip Bay from the 1850s until finally being turned off by the Port of Melbourne Authority in 1994.
With its light at a height of almost 31 metres, the lighthouse is the tallest on mainland Victoria and remains a popular tourist attraction.
The funding boost to the Living Heritage Program is part of the Government’s $2.7 billion Building Works package.
The Government’s $60 million Living Heritage Program is the biggest investment in heritage assets in Victorian history.
For more information on the program or to apply for a grant, visit heritage.vic.gov.au/grants/living-heritage-program